Youth and Teen Classes
Youth Academy is The Bad Dog Theatre Company's youth improvisation education program. We emphasize story, listening, impulse work (being spontaneous!), teamwork, basic stagecraft, agreement, confidence and game play.
Our Youth Academy classes build confidence, foster creativity and help young people give voice to their ideas, all in a supportive, nurturing and (above all) fun environment. The Bad Dog Youth Academy is open to young performers ages 10 to 18. Our classes offer an introduction to improvisation and an opportunity to jam, play games and perform scenes and receive personalized instruction.
BAD DOG FALL CLASSES
A place for young improvisers
(10 - 13) to learn the basics of improvisation.
Saturdays, 10-12pm (SOLD OUT):
September 17 to November 19
September 18 to November 20
A chance for high school improvisers to learn the basics of improvisation
Thursdays, 5-7pm (Unavailable for Fall Semester)
September 15 to November 17
Experienced high school improvisers learn the finer points of improv through class time and performance
September 16 to November 18
Why take a Youth Academy Class?
- Learning to comfortably think on your feet – to accept and respond to the unexpected – is an amazing life skill and a terrific confidence builder… useful in everything from school presentations to job interviews to everyday conversations!
- The storytelling and genre work we do is not only a fantastic extension to what is covered in school drama classes, but also helps further develop language and literacy skills – giving students a more comfortable grasp of the parts of a story and how characters, context, action and stakes work together to create and sustain interest.
- The Bad Dog Youth Academy is part of the bigger Bad Dog improv community and throughout the year, there are all sorts of opportunities for interested students to see professional unscripted comedy and meet the amazing performers in our shows – many of whom got their start taking classes like these before going on to careers onstage and onscreen.
- Our teachers are terrific improvisers themselves – who come to class well-prepared, but are very skilled at adjusting to the experience-level, personalities and needs of their students.
- And… maybe the most fun of all… at the end of each term, Youth Academy classes get an opportunity to showcase what they’ve learned – live, on stage… in front of an audience!
Create your own characters and stories, play games and learn valuable listening and team building skills for both the stage and real life. Be the star of your own show!
For further information about classes and registration,
contact our Youth Director at firstname.lastname@example.org!